News & Information
Apr 28 2020
Troubleshooting your hearing devices
While we are closed for regular service at this time, we realize that your hearing aids will occasionally require maintenance. If you are having issues with your devices, please try the following steps at home.
- Replace the battery. While this sounds simple, we can’t count the number of times we have had a hearing aid in for repair that turned out to be a dead battery. So, try this first. After all, we all forget the simple things sometimes. If you have rechargeable hearing aids, make sure they are fully charged and the charger is plugged in and working.
- Clean the hearing aids of wax and debris.
- Using the tools provided, brush any visible wax off your aids, earmold, or dome. This should be done on a daily basis.
- If battery operated, open the battery door, take out the battery and brush out the battery compartment.
- Change the wax filters. These are the small white tips on the end of the hearing aid. If you have a behind-the-ear device, the wax filter will be located under the rubber dome that fits in your ear. Take this off and replace the filter with the tools provided. (If you need assistance with this process, please phone our office and we will be happy to help).
- Brush out the microphone covers. On a custom in-the-ear device they are the small holes usually located just above the battery door. If you wear behind-the-ear hearing aids, the microphones are located on the top of the device behind your ear. Make sure to brush these as debris from your skin and hair can clog the microphones.
- If you have a dri-aid kit, place your hearing aids inside at night to absorb excess moisture, especially if you have had moisture related repairs in the past.
If you have tried the above and are still having issues with your devices, please call one of our clinics and we will troubleshoot over the phone. If we cannot resolve the issue over the phone, we have a drop off system in place so that we can repair your devices without seeing you in the office.
If you have any questions or concerns please phone or email. We are here to keep you hearing during these difficult times and look forward to seeing you back in the clinic when it is safe to do so.
The Accurate Hearing Team,
Andrew, PJ and Heather
Lower Sackville 902-252-3004 – Cole Harbour 902-406-4327.
- Locally owned and operated
- Warm, welcoming atmosphere
- No commissions – we choose the product that’s best for you
- Early morning and late evening appointments
- 60 day risk-free trial period with all hearing aids